Thursday 25 February 2010

Update

What I'm Reading
Whilst the Gaunt's Ghosts novels are splendid fun, these sort of series can burn you out if you read nothing but them for weeks on end. For this reason I am taking a break to check out Dan Simmons' Drood and will probably follow that up with a full read-through of Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet (rereading the first two before finishing off the series). This may change if my review copy of Warriors shows up in the meantime.

Game of Thrones on HBO
News has been very thin for the last month or so, as HBO have viewed the pilot and been debating about whether to pick up the series or not behind resolutely closed doors. A final decision is expected sooner rather than later in March 2010 and it's still not clear which way they are going to jump, although the overall vibe has been very positive.

What I'm Watching
The final season of Lost, naturally, and the second season of Being Human.

General Status
As mentioned at the start of January, my blogging and read time has become more limited due to various (mostly positive) factors, such as a ramping up of job applications and interviews. As such a slower rate of posting is expected to continue in the meantime. Obviously keep an eye on my fellow bloggers (listed in the sidebar on the right of the screen) for the latest SF&F developments if I'm slow to catch up on them.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Curious to see what you think of Drood!

Adam Whitehead said...

200 pages in and very good so far. I wasn't expecting the numerous references to the events of THE TERROR though. Cool, but felt a bit oddball.

Jebus said...

Did you watch the second season of Survivors? Great show.

RobB said...

Ha! Finally beat to the punch with a book, I've read Warriors - good stuff indeed. I was surprised the David Weber story stood out more than any other for me.

Whilst the Gaunt's Ghosts novels are splendid fun, these sort of series can burn you out if you read nothing but them for weeks on end. Agree, which is why I've yet to dive into the second omnibus, which is ginormous.

Anonymous said...

Whilst the Gaunt's Ghosts novels are splendid fun, these sort of series can burn you out if you read nothing but them for weeks on end.

True. A few months ago I started reading the second omnibus just after the first and I left it at the end of the second book.

I'll read the rest this summer.

Liviu said...

I had Warriors for a month maybe and I have read only the two stories of my big time favorite authors from there (S. Saylor and D. Weber) - the book is way too heavy to lug around and I tend to read a lot on the go, especially ss

While I like the Weber story, I was not that blown away by it at least as opposed to most of his books, while the Saylor story was again good but not quite at the level of his superb novels

The other very intriguing story for me is the David Ball one and I am curios if the third Dunk and Egg story is better than the very mediocre second one, so I may try it soon

On the other hand I recently got the Swords anthology and that is a treat, even the stories by authors I do not care that much about are very entertaining so far...